Discover the world around you!
Harvard strongly encourages students to engage in enriching experiences both domestically and internationally during their four years at the College and hopes that students who wish to have an international or public service experience are able to do so. To support these educational activities, generous donors have given the College a number of funds that the Office of Career Services (OCS) administers. To learn more about how to apply for OCS summer funding for different projects and programs, explore the funding categories listed below. Summer Research Opportunities and Post-Graduate and National Fellowship funding information can be found on other parts of the OCS website. To learn about other funding sources at Harvard please refer to the Funding Sources Database.
OCS Summer Funding for Harvard College Undergraduates
The Office of Career Services funds about 50% of students who apply for funding for internships, study abroad programs, or volunteer opportunities. Most summer funding application deadlines are in late January or mid-February. Successful applicants: Start early, Plan carefully, Get advice from many sources at Harvard, Are thoughtful about how their proposed activity fits into their four years of learning and exploration at Harvard, and Attend OCS events/programs to learn about summer options and how to apply for funding.
Learn more about different types of OCS summer funding:
- International – Harvard Summer School Study Abroad Programs (5-10 weeks), deadline Jan. 31, 2013
- International – Non-Harvard Study Abroad Programs (4-10 weeks), deadline Feb. 15, 2013
- NEW! International - Coach for College Student-Athlete International Experience Grant, deadline April 1, 2013
- International – Harvard-Run Summer International Programs (8+ weeks), deadline Feb. 15, 2013
- International – Non-Harvard Volunteer Sending Organization Programs (8+ weeks), deadline Feb. 15, 2013
- International – Independent Internships and Volunteer Opportunities (8+ weeks), deadline Feb. 15, 2013
- International – Experiential Learning Projects (8+ weeks), deadline Feb. 15, 2013
- Domestic – Public Service Internships (8+ weeks), deadline Mar. 1, 2013
- Domestic – Matching Grants for Non-Profits and Start-Ups (8+ weeks), rolling application deadline beginning Mar. 1, 2013
- Domestic & International – Lowe Fund for Career Exploration (3 weeks or less), rolling application deadline
Learn more about other Harvard funding sources and programs:
How many OCS Funding Applications are allowed?For OCS Harvard Summer School Funding – Students may submit one application for Harvard Summer School (HSS) funding on Thursday, January 31st, indicating their first and second choice course selections on the funding application. On Friday, February 15th students may submit a second application for funding in any of the other OCS categories offered, including a Non-Harvard Summer School Study Abroad Program. However, if accepted and funded to enroll in a HSS course, students will have one week to accept or decline the award. If the HSS award is accepted any application submitted on February 15th will be pulled from the selection process.
All other OCS Categories of Funding – Students may submit only one OCS funding application on February 15th, following the directions and application procedures outlined in the links above. Students should think carefully before selecting which category to apply for. No student will receive more than one offer of funding from OCS.
Non-OCS Harvard Funding – Students are free to apply to other funding sources across the University.